- Alex Doji, a University of Staffordshire student died in 2003 after choking on his own vomit after consuming copious amounts of alcohol and being forced to pick out deflated balloons from a tub of chilli, dog food and pig intestines. This was during a rugby initiation ceremony
- Tom Ward, a Hull University student died in 2005 after positional asphyxia caused by alcohol intoxication. This death was also during a rugby fresher’s initiation ceremony.
- Gavin Britton, a Exeter University student died in 2008 after a particularly heavy bout of drinking games. The actual cause of death remains uncertain but most sources speculate that he essentially drank himself to death.
- Ed Farmer, a Newcastle University student died in 2016 as a result of alcohol poisoning. His death occurred during one of the university’s most notorious society; the ‘Agric’ or Agricultural.
These lives lost to initiations are a grave reminder of the harm that initiations can cause. While the theoretical arguments can be made all day long, sometimes it serve to have these reminders about the reality of these ceremonies.