The rise of digital media has meant independent gaming shops who sell physical video games have had to re-evaluate their future.
James Kennedy is the owner of an independent video game shop called ‘Gamerz’ in Boscombe.
Mr Kennedy explains the struggles competing with digital media: “It affects our business a lot because pre-orders are down for new games and people aren’t coming to buy even second hand games”
With the cost of living crisis independent gaming shops are being affected even more negatively: “I’m having to bargain with electric companies – my bill goes up five times the amount on the 1st of march.”
According to The Digital Entertainment and Retail Association 89.5% of games sold were digital downloads and the remaining 10.5% were physical copies.
“There’s always going to be a need for physical copies as the prices for pre-owned games are a lot cheaper than buying games digitally” says Mr Kennedy.
With Independent gaming shops like ‘Gamerz ‘, coming into store to purchase physical copies helps massively because you’re directly supporting the person that works there.
“You’re helping to feed their families compared to lining the pockets of a corporate company”
The future may be uncertain for some independent gaming shops, but in time it is hoped that businesses will be sustained which may mean moving online