Dog owners in the Dorset area are being advised to stay aware of poisonous plants which are reportedly being washed up on beaches due to extreme weather last week.
Pet lover Sarah Hammett had just finished a walk near Hycliffe last Wednesday, when her black labrador Kimmy began convulsing.
It is reported that Kimmy was on the beach from Barton-on-Sea to Mudeford, when she started playing with tubers which resembled Iris roots.
It’s believed that she ingested the roots of the potentially deadly water hemlock also known as Cicuta.
Mrs Hammett immediately rushed her dog to Priory Veterinary Hospital in Christchurch where she was treated.
Look out for #Hemlockpoisoning in your dog! Here is the #symptoms you need to be vigilant about: pic.twitter.com/ZnNj7c49uK
— Buzz News (@buzz_bmth) January 20, 2020
Veterinary Practice Manager, Nicola Holmwood said: “It hasn’t been officially confirmed, but it’s most likely to be a case of water hemlock.
“The water hemlock is poisonous to dogs, and can cause neurological symptoms as well as other symptoms such as vomiting.
“However, it is not usually found on the beach. They are normally located alongside waterways and grow by streams, but due to the weather we believe that they are getting washed up on the beach.”
This supposition follows the impact of Storm Brendan last week which caused chaos up and down the Dorset Coast.
Kimmy was kept over night in the veterinarian hospital but returned home the next day fit and well.
Dog owners are now being recommended to pay closer attention to what their dogs are investigating on walks.
Ms Holmwood said: “It’s not something you see a lot but we are advising people to be extra vigilant when walking dogs and to keep an eye on them.
“If they start to show any signs that they’ve consumed something on a walk to seek medical attention straight away.”
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council has urged anyone who discovers the poisonous roots to report it so seafront officers can investigate.