Winton Fire Station.
A brief history – courtesy of Bournemouth Library.
Winton’s first fire station is reputed to have been a lock-up shed in Withermoor Road, operating by 1903.
There is no mention of the station in the street directories of the time, however a brick structure – the present No 37 Withermoor Road – has been advanced as the most likely site. This was formerly 5 Withermoor Road, occupied by William Whitmarsh, a luggage porter. In the days before a professional service was established and Bournemouth operated a volunteer Fire Brigade, ; however , this was followed by one in Maxwell Road at the Council Yard, which was established in 1910. The third Fire Station was opened in 1927 on Peter’s Hill, opposite Luther Road.
The station replaced an earlier house ‘Windsor Cottage’, later ‘Blenheim Cottage’, at 180 Wimborne Road, renumbered as 226 Wimborne Road c.1912. This house had lately been the home of Mr and Mrs Scott. When the new building was first completed, a ‘street ambulance’ operated from the site. The new Winton station combined the Fire Service, with living accommodation above and public toilets. There was no formal event to mark the opening of Winton Fire Station.
By 1931, the street had been renumbered again, and Winton Fire Station was now 520-524 Wimborne Road, and there were staff were living on site. At No. 1 Winton Fire Station (520 Wimborne Road) was Edward Williams, with his wife Beatrice and son Edwin, at No. 2 Winton Fire Station (524 Wimborne Road) was Cecil George Dorey and his wife Marjorie. Thomas John Upward was at No 2, by 1935, but Cecil Dorey was back there by 1942.
A national Fire Service was established in 1941. This lasted until 1947, when Local Fire Services were reintroduced.
By 1944, Reginald George Wyeth and his wife Theresa Sarah Wyeth were at No 2 and appear to be the only staff on site. Mr Wyeth was replaced in 1950 by James J. Collingbourne. By 1959 Albert Hardy and his wife Gwen were there, they seem to have been the last residents, before the station closed.
In 1960 Winton Fire Station closed. The Redhill Fire Station, placed further north to cover new areas of housing, replaced Winton.
A look at Wimborne Road (Winton High Street)